ETF Insider: Fiscal Cliff Woes Set Volatile Tone
Mon, Nov 12, 1:27 PM ET, by Michael Johnston
Markets are off to an encouraging start on Veterans Day as major equity indexes appear to be bouncing higher following last week’s nosedive, although light trading volumes may prove deceiving. Overseas, Greece is waiting for the green light to receive further aid as the country once once again flirts with bankruptcy. At home, the looming fiscal cliff remains at the top of the “worry list” as many are anticipating for political gridlock and unfavorable policy outcomes [see Free 7 Simple & Cheap All-ETF Portfolios].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- Market Vectors Germany Small-Cal ETF (GERJ, C+): The latest German economic sentiment survey may shed light on the region’s otherwise gloomy outlook. German small caps could be in for a volatile trading session on Tuesday depending on sentiment data; analysts are expecting for the figure to come in at -10, marking a slight improvement from the previous reading of -11.5.
- SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT, A-): Domestic retail stocks will come into focus on Wednesday morning as investors digest October’s retail sales data. Analysts are expecting for the figure to show a contraction of 0.1% on the month, a modest deterioration from the previous reading which showed growth of 1.1%.
- MSCI EMU Index Fund (EZU, B+): This ETF may experience volatile trading on Thursday morning as investors react to the latest Euro zone gross domestic product data. Analysts are expecting for the region’s quarterly economic growth to come in at -0.6% versus the previous reading of -0.5%.
- Industrials ETF (VIS, A+): The domestic manufacturing sector will come into the spotlight on Friday morning as investors digest October’s industrial production data. VIS could be in for a volatile day if the latest report greatly deviates from estimates; analysts are expecting for this figure to come in at 0.2% versus the previous reading of 0.4%.
Last week’s re-election of President Obama sparked a broad “risk-off” trade as fiscal cliff worries resurfaced. While this issue has been looming for months on end, investors expressed their concerns quite clearly in just a few painful trading sessions. Markets will likely remain volatile until a major fundamental development answers looming uncertainties; in terms of downside, support for the S&P 500 Index remains around 1,350, while resistance comes in at 1,425.
Below, we have highlighted three trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long IYT
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading
To continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 7-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 50+ All-ETF model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition. Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged and also export results to Microsoft Excel from every tool.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- ETFdb Analyst Picks offer investment recommendations suited for longer-term traders; each Analyst Pick includes a fundamental rationale as well a suggested stop-loss and price target.
Begin Your Free 7-Day Trial Now
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
SDI Glossary: "Analyst" Definition
SDI Glossary: "price" Definition
SDI Glossary: "ETFs" Definition
This Article's Word Cloud:
More articles: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next »