ETF Insider: Did Wall Street Forget About Greece?
Mon, Mar 5, 1:34 PM ET, by Michael Johnston
Bullish euphoria bolstered equity markets higher last week as better-than-expected economic data stole the headlines. Investors were more than happy to see a big jump in consumer confidence as well as an encouraging GDP report, both of which boosted confidence in the recovery. The biggest surprise on Wall Street was Ben Bernanke’s testimony before Congress; the Fed Chairman sparked volatile trading after he gave no indication that there would be an additional round of quantitative easing like many had anticipated [see Gold Hits Resistance, Time To Worry?]. Several key economic data releases from all over the globe as well as ongoing developments in the debt burdened Euro zone will likely dominate the headlines this week.
The unemployment report will take center stage at home on Friday, while earlier in the week investors will also digest the latest European Central Bank rate decision. Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- Rydex CurrencyShares Australian Dollar Trust (FXA): The Aussie dollar could come under pressure on Tuesday depending on the economic commentary issued after the Reserve Bank of Australia rate decision; analysts are expecting for interest rates to remain unchanged at 4.25%.
- iShares MSCI EMU Index Fund (EZU): This Euro zone ETF could experience volatile trading on Tuesday if worries resurface depending on the latest GDP report from the currency bloc; analysts are expecting for economic growth to come in at 0.7% on a year-over-year basis.
- iShares MSCI Australia Index Fund (EWA): This Australian equity ETF will come into focus on Wednesday morning as investors react to GDP results from the night before; analysts are expecting for economic growth to come in at 2.3% on a year-over-year basis.
- Precidian MAXIS Nikkei 225 Index ETF (NKY): This ETF could experience an increase in trading volumes on Wednesday depending on the latest Japan GDP report; analysts are expecting for annualized economic growth to come in at -0.6%.
- Rydex CurrencyShares Euro Currency Trust (FXE): The Euro may find itself in another trading frenzy depending on how markets react to the latest central bank decision from the currency bloc; the rate is expected to remain at 1%, although the economic commentary following the rate decision itself will provide more valuable insights.
- Charles Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB): U.S. equity markets will likely take cues from the latest employment report due out on Friday morning; analysts are expecting for the unemployment rate to remain unchanged at 8.3%.
The coming week is stacked with economic data releases from all over the globe; investors will look to compelling fundamental data for encouragement to jump aboard the bull-train. Greek woes could throw off momentum towards the end of the week as bailout negotiations heat up once again surrounding the bond exchange overseas which is set to expire on Thursday. Below, we have highlighted three technical trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Short XLB
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading
To continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 7-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 25+ all-ETF, fully-backtested model portfolios. Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- Objective, in-depth analysis and ranking of every ETF on more than 20 different metrics. From historical performance to expenses to volatility, the custom ETF Scorecards show how every ETF stacks up against the competition.
- ETF Edge, the monthly Pro newsletter, delivers the latest ETF news and commentary, along with investment ideas, reviews of new exchange-traded products, and access to a proprietary database of ETF performance data.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 3x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- Dive deep into exciting corners of the ETF market with Special ETF Research Reports that analyze the investment cases and options for everything from gold to emerging markets to dividend strategies.
- Get high quality analyst research with 60+ ETFdb Category Reports that highlight price drivers, factors to consider, and intriguing ETF options for every asset class and strategy.
- Full access to the ETF Head-To-Head Comparison Tool, allowing you to see how multiple products compare side-by-side in terms of fees, returns, volatility, and more.
- Enhanced ETF Screener download capabilities, including the option to export results from this proprietary tool to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Begin Your Free 7-Day Trial Now - or - Read more about ETFdb Pro
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
SDI Glossary: "Bullish" Definition
SDI Glossary: "price" Definition
SDI Glossary: "ETFs" Definition
SDI Glossary: "the Fed" Definition
SDI Glossary: "GDP" Definition
SDI Glossary: "iShares" Definition
SDI Glossary: "Resistance" Definition
SDI Glossary: "Short" Definition
This Article's Word Cloud:
More articles: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next »